Helsinki Observatory – Astronomical visitor centre
Designed by C.L. Engel and completed in 1834, the Observatory on Observatory Hill is currently being renovated and is due to reopen to the public in autumn 2012.
The Helsinki Observatory is a stage for science that opens new perspectives on the past, present and future of astronomy. The Observatory is primarily aimed at schoolchildren, but it will be open to all visitors. An unforgettable Observatory visit is built on observation, visuals and participatory insights.
Designed by C.L. Engel and completed in 1834 on Observatory Hill, the building has been renovated in 2011-2012 and it will be reopened to the public on 24 October 2012. The observatory is a part of the Helsinki University Museum. In addition to the astronomical visitor centre, the building will house a café and offices of the Ursa Astronomical Association and the University Almanac Office.
After its 24 October 2012 opening, the Observatory will be open to the public in 2012 as follows:
Mondays, Sundays: closed.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays: open from 12.00 to 16.00.
Thursdays: open from 12.00 to 20.00.
Adults: 6 euro.
Pensioners, students, university employees: 4 euro.
Young people (7–17 years): 2 euro.
Children under 7: free entry.
Guided tours, max 25 people/group: 60 euro.
School groups (entrance fees and guidance): 50 euro.